Boat Insurance – What is NOT Covered?
Boat Insurance Guide
- Physical Damages
- Boat Insurance Policies
- Personal Property and Towing Assistance
- What Factors Affect Your Boat Insurance Rate?
- Uninsured Boater Coverage
- Medical Liability Insurance
- Tips for Protecting Boats and Yachts
- Sinking Boat Insurance Myths
- Should You Cancel Your Policy During Lay-up?
From The Blog
Physical Damages – What is NOT Covered?
All boat insurance policies have exclusions. The boat owner has the responsibility to maintain their boat, and so normal wear and tear is often excluded under a boat or yacht policy. Other exclusions can include gradual deterioration, weathering, insects, mold, animals, and other marine life. The number and type of physical damage exclusions vary from company to company, so take the time to compare to avoid surprises later. For instance, some companies include coverage for damage caused by zebra mussels, while some do not.
Also, it is important to know that most policies will not cover a defective item that directly causes damage to your insured boat, but will cover the resulting damage itself. For instance, if your water pump is faulty and causes damage to your boat, the water pump itself is excluded, but the damage to your boat will be covered. Other policies can also have machinery damage exclusions while others do not. If your machinery is damaged by improper use, and a policy without a machinery damage exclusion will cover the engine; those with a machinery damage exclusion would not cover the loss. Whatever the case, make sure you are up do date with what you are covered for in your boat insurance policy.
Read More About Your Boat Insurance Policy
- Go to our Boat Insurance Guide Homepage page to go back to the boat insurance basics.
- Go to our Physical Damage Coverages page to see what is covered in your boat insurance policy.
- Go to our Policies page to research different marine insurance policies.
- Go to our Boat Towing and Personal Property Insurance page to see what is covered in your boat insurance policy.
- Go to our Medical Payments page to read about medical liability insurance.
- Go to our Uninsured Boater Coverages page to read about unisured boater insurance.
- Go to our Boat Insurance Rates page to check all the possible factors that affect your boat insruance rate.
- Go to our Boat Insurance Myths page to dispel some common misconceptions about boat insurance coverage.
- Go to our Boat Insurance Tips page for some helpful pointers on choosing the right boat insurance policy.
- Go to our Lay-up Coverage page to see why you should keep your policy active during the lay-up